Saturday, August 7, 2010

Nicole Reviews "A Single Man"

Cam rented this movie; he rents most of them. I usually come into it late in the game when I sit on the futon and say "what are we watching?". My impressions afterward last as long as his though.

During the earliest scenes in the movie I was unsure if our protagonist was even Colin Firth (I know, super lame). It was my first instinct that it might be, but a few angles and a toned down accent made me second guess that it was Ewan McGregor. I forgot to guess who I was watching after a bit and got really into it.

I'm a "Mad Men" fan, but I was surprised to hear that the "Mad Men" designers were consulted on for this film. As much as I enjoy the show it seems superficial at times; trying too hard to force the notion of an alternate decade. "A Single Man" had an element of sophistication and authenticity that dove into the subculture at the heart of it. I completely credit the vision of designer "Tom Ford" who directed the film and wrote the screenplay. To see the product of his creativity in a refined and beautiful way made me truly understand how limitless creativity is. What a gifted man Tom Ford is. The viewer is swept away to another place through a plethora of costume, lighting, acting, dialogue, flashback and most importantly, story.

Great performances by all actors all around. Julianne Moore plays her typical woman-scorned role with vigor and a very wicked London accent. Dreamboat Matthew Goode plays the handsome Jim (nice work... being handsome); he makes the men and women swoon.

Some great one liners were delivered. One of my favourites is when the neighbours' little girl Jennifer says to George "Daddy says you're a little light in your loafers" ahhh the 60s.

I totally recommend checking out this stylish and sophisticated Oscar-worthy film. Lotsa big stars from me.

Watch Trailer "A Single Man"   
Purchase "A Single Man"
Rent "A Single Man"

No comments:

Post a Comment