Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cam Reviews "Kick-Ass"

I'd never read the Kick-Ass comic.  My only knowledge of the story came from the movie trailers I had seen.  I was kind of expecting a family film.  The characters seemed fun and innocent, with a penchant for doing good.

My expectation held for the first half hour, until seven people with at least ties to a drug dealer were sliced and diced.  Whoa.  It's that type of movie.

I actually really liked this movie.  I liked the set design, I thought the editing was tight.  The story moved quickly through multiple story lines, but still felt congruous and complete.  The acting was quite competent, creating believable characters.

The only aspect of this film that kept me from "loving it" was struggling with the light-hearted characters and their ultra-violent behaviours.  I can handle criminals being ruthless, but sometimes the good guys should be good.

That being said, if I had read the story first, and been a fan, I think I would have loved this movie.  It's very well executed.

No comments:

Post a Comment