Sunday, August 22, 2010

Nicole Reviews "Kick-Ass"

I don't read comic books so I shouldn't have had any expectations for this film. For some reason I figured it would be a fun movie with a good moral, but to me that wasn't the case. One would be led to think this with a summary of this nature...

"Dave Lizewski is an unnoticed high school student and comic book fan. One day he makes the simple decision to become a super-hero even though he has no powers or training."

Each time an event occurred where my expectations were bashed I flinched and was shocked into a state of disbelief. This film is violent (there might be a theme of disdain for violence here on my behalf). Super heroes DO NOT kill people.

I'm sure anyone that has read "Kick-Ass" the comic would have known better and done a better job evaluating the authenticity of this adaptation. They might also have the super-ability to see past the viciousness.

Technically speaking this movie did nothing wrong. It was clever, funny with an acceptable amount of crudeness, and packed with action; executed by very talented stunt people nonetheless. The story, correction "stories", were too busy. Characters motives were built up and not seen through; the only sense I could make of this is that it is being left open to a sequel.

Was I entertained? Sure. But this movie is made for boys and comic book fans. I am not at all close to identifying with either of those demographics. For me, Kick-Ass, did not Kick-Ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment