Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cam Reviews "A Single Man"

Here it is. My first post. A better movie for my first critique would be hard to ask for.

I've become a bit of a design buff of late. Reading architecture, fashion, and interior design blogs, magazines, and newspaper articles. Embracing my inner gay male you could say.

"A Single Man" is pure eye candy. A beautiful mid-century modern home for the main setting. Impeccable fashion, (it helps when the director is the former head of Gucci) and a subtle refined soundtrack that really adds to the feel of this film. (I had to buy "Your Rocky Spine" by the Great Lake Swimmers after watching) Most impressive though, is Colin Firth's performance. I don't remember the words that he said. I remember the way his eyes moved, the postures that he held, the pauses in his step. A brilliant performance, I've found a whole new respect for Mr. Firth.

I can hardly wait for Tom Ford's next film. In his debut, he has crafted a piece of art. It's watching movies like this that make me remember that film is art. A lot of popular fare now a days, makes me hinge the other way. There was no extraneous filler needed to make this feature length, it is a tight, engaging, emotional exploration of a gay man in the early 60's who has lost his true love.

I'm glad I've begun to embrace my inner gay man. I would not have wanted to miss this.

1 comment:

  1. Oh cam, you're so light in your loafers. So exquisitely put.

    ReplyDelete